Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Twelve Weeks of Christmas - Week 9




This idea could be used as a gift, or you could use it to decorate your home for the holidays. You can customize the colours to co-ordinate with your home or the colours you use to decorate you tree, and you can get it out year after year. It's quick and easy too, so it's perfect for this time of year!



Supplies:
Small Chocolate Vintage Ornament Decor Elements (item #117966)
Decor Elements Applicator (item #114285)
Stretched and primed canvas from a craft store (mine is 16"x20")
Acrylic paints--you can just use one, or add a few like I did
ribbon (optional)

Instructions:

1. Paint the canvas. I do the bigger areas first... I dribble the paint directly onto the canvas and brush it across the canvas. Between colours, I wash out the brush. While the paint is still wet,  I drip small, random drops of other colours (the dark brown and the dark pink) over the painted stripes, and just brush back and forth until I like the result. I did wavy stripes with this one.
2. Let the canvas dry completely (I wait overnight).
3. Cut apart the ornaments and strings (they all come on one sheet) and figure out approximately where you want to place them.
4. Use the Decor Elements Applicator to rub gently over the ornaments (grid paper up). Gently peel back the adhesive layer (feels like masking tape). The ornament should be on the sticky side. If it's not, gently rub the applicator over the grid paper side again.
5. Place the ornament and sticky paper onto the canvas. I pile two SU! Idea book and catalogues under the canvas (inside the wood frame) so I have something to push against. Starting in the middle, rub the applicator to the edges of the ornament.
6. Slowly peel back the sticky paper. The ornament should now be on the canvas. If it's still sticking to the sticky paper, just press it back down onto the canvas and rub again with the applicator.
7. Repeat for all ornaments and strings.
8. If you'd like, you can use a glue gun to adhere ribbon around the edge of the canvas. You could also paint the edges if the staples are not showing.

I hope you try this... I love my Decor Elements art, and it's so easy. The key is that you don't have to push as hard as you think you do (I was trying too hard at first). A gentle rub is all it takes.

1 comment:

Toby and Valerie Durham said...

So beautiful as always! I just ordered the new ones that go on a glass tile for my kitchen! I love the ease of these things and the color you add behind yours makes it so gorgeous!!